Thursday, June 23, 2011

Misty Mountains of Baker Lake

Yesterday, I traveled to Baker Lake to go scout the course for the Baker Lake 50k.  It was also the second attempt at running the trail for the Bellingham Fit winter trail group.  Our first attempt was abandoned due to poor weather.  Mother nature has NOT been nice this year.
For me, it was a scouting trip in preparation for the Baker Lake 50k.  I don't know whst possessed me to sign up for an ultra after not running for a year but I did it anyway.   Its got to be my love of running remote trails.  The further away from civilization, the better.
It was another wet morning to go along with Saturday's nine mile soaker. An early start got us to the trail head by 7:45. A gray day, with intermittent drizzle. Not unpleasant but also not great. The temperature was good for running though.

In my world it doesn't get any better than the gray must rolling in and out if the trees.  I know we are due for a sunny day, and the bright sun reflecting off of the lake would have been a welcome sight at the occasional overlook down to the water but the mist was great.
I was hoping to run about two hours since my goal for the race is to crack the four hour barrier. I took one wrong turn down to a campground and there were sections that were overgrown that kept me from really running at all so it was a slower trek than I expected.  I still managed about 2:05 for the run which is promising.  I'm not incredibly fit for the long stuff and I didn't push all that hard so I think I can run pretty fast out there come race day.  The rolling terrain suits my running style and strengths well. Baker Lake 50k should be a good race for me.  I had enough time after to do the washcloth bath and get pretty clean and smell less.  I ate my only food item, a banana and changed into some normal clothes.  It never did warm up or clear up outside, which was disappointing.

Holly and I walked back to the suspension bridge to take a few pictures and then to the first smaller bridge where we met the rest of the crew come in looking a little tired but everybody had a bid smile on their face.  It would have been nice to check out the Shadow of the Sentinels trial, but it wasn't meant to be.  

After a what felt like a terribly long ride home with some intermittent napping, we hit The Daisy Cafe for some amazing breakfast.  Veggie omelete, potatoes, toast, and pancakes.  An awesome day.  Ready to had back with some camping involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment