Friday, February 24, 2012

Going again

I just got back from a trip to Illinois to visit my family for 10 days.  It was a great trip.  I got to play with my nephew Caleb a lot.  His laughing and smiling and tongue clicking, and baby babble was great therapy.  And despite some of the best February winter weather, I only managed 7.5 miles for the week.  I had already decided that upon my return to Bellingham, I'd just start in to my 70+ mile weeks.
So here I am, four days into my first 70 in several months.  I just don't do the build up very well.  And I'm back for another year with the Saucony Hurricanes.  I love my ViziPro.  And I just signed up for the Fun with The Fuzz 5k, which is offering a $500 cash prize.  Don't I wish I had started real training a couple months earlier.  We'll see who shows up.
Along with Fun with the Fuzz, I'm committed to one more year as the Dowhill Runner Leg of Ski to Sea.  And I'm going to race the heck out of the local races for the next three months.  That's right Whatcom county!  Racing my way into shape!
I'll be honest though.  Racing my way into shape sounds far better than the alternative of slogging through endless solo workouts now that my mentor/coach Sam Alexander has left for California.  I need a kick start, a momentum building season, a motivational boost, and throwing down and racing almost weekly is the best alternative.  Then I'll regroup, and focus on a big fall race, probably a half marathon somewhere.  So that is the plan as it stands for now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment