Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Big Race

I've got a big race this weekend.  The biggest of my spring, if only because of the cash prize.  This year's Fun With the Fuzz 5k has a $500 first place prize.  Second place, gets...... nothing.  I had planned on running this race all along, but the prize potential is a nice bonus.  But there is just one problem.  I'm not that fit.  My foot problems derailed my early spring training.  I was running, but I wan't really training.  And I've just struggled with motivation.  I've run a couple races this spring and they've gone well, but running a fast 5k is different.  I've pretty much only done Daniels "R" pace workouts so I have no idea what to expect. I'm thinking I'm maxed out at 15:30.  But I've thought that twice going into the all comers meet at Civic and run 15:15 running in lane 3, so it remains to be seen.

I'm more nervous to see who else may show up.  $500 is worth a drive up from Seattle or down from Vancouver.  So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.  I'm already a little nervous about the race though.  But at least I'll look good in my new Saucony gear.

After Fun With the Fuzz, I've got the Vancouver Half Marathon.  It's a Saucony race which is cool.  But I'm also not feeling very confident about a road half.  Feels like a wasted opportunity at a fast race, one which I should be able to get dragged along, except that I can't get my training ramped up to where I want it.

And after that, I get the meat grinder, Ski to Sea.  I won't even talk about that now.

So hopefully I'll be posting another blog about my awesome victory this weekend and not my utter disappointment.  If I do manage to come home with the money, my Mom is getting a plane ticket to WA this summer so she can see how awesome it is.

1 comment: