Friday, July 1, 2011

A Chuckanut run with Dr. Crawdad

     I was a total slacker on Wednesday night and instead of working on my futures order for Saucony, I opted for the brainless entertainment provided by the idiot box.
     Thursday morning had to be dedicated to ordering instead of my usual morning run. By the way, I'm pretty excited about the direction Saucony is going with their footwear. 8mm or less for almost their entire lineup!  3.2 ounce distance spikes for men (suck it Nike), and just some cool stuff in general.
     After watching the weather do its changing routine all day and half way dreading the run, 6pm rolled around. I drove south through Fairhaven and parked at the North Chuckanut trailhead.  Still lacking in motivation a little, I was sure that things would be better once I got going.  I hadn't been up in the Chuckanut, except through Arroyo, for well over a year.  My plan was to hit Salal, but from there I had no idea.
     The trail was in great shape, and there isn't a ton of steep climbing with Salal, which is great.  I'm no fan of Cleator like inclines.  My legs felt surprisingly springy, which is nice for this part of training.  Usually its a mellow grind most days.  No question of being able to do the work, but it rarely ever feels good.
     Throughout the run, I could't help but daydream about Baker Lake, and even let my thoughts drift over to the potential of racing Chuckanut 50k, gasp!  I don't think I'm ready for that yet, but it would be good to see how I stack up.  Baker Lake should tell me more.  It's amazing how quickly time melts away on the trail.  I was surprised when the trail dumped out and I was pretty close to Madrone Crest.  A brief uphill jaunt yielded the view of the night (sorry, no pics.  I don't carry my camera/phone.  Go up there yourself!)  That type of view never gets old to me, and is infinitely more amazing than the endless seas of corn and beans I grew up with.
     The return trip was nice, as is generally the case with a downhill return.  I passed a border patrolman on the way back down and was a little curious what he was up to.  When I returned to the main parking lot, there were three border patrol vehicles.  I still wonder what was going on.  Its a little unusual to say the least.  Nothing obvious in the newspaper today.  Maybe they were out enjoying a nice evening with mother nature as well.
     At the end of the day, another great run, 9 more miles, and just feeling better about life in general.  All I know is I need to get out of town and go camping somewhere remote soon!  I'm feeling the call.  Too bad I'll be in Chicago next week for my nephew Caleb's baptism.


No comments:

Post a Comment