Monday, July 25, 2011

Sounders vs Man U, and Hurricanes!

     Its been an eventful half a week.  On Wednesday last week, I left work early to head to Seattle to XBox pitch to watch my beloved Sounders face off against Manchester United.  In the Sounders inaugural season, I skipped both friendlies, AC Milan and Chelsea.  I was kicking myself for it.  So I decided that this year, there would be no way I would miss the Man U game.  What a mistake that was.  Instead of selling the tickets for $100 a piece, I got the watch my team get a royal butt whipping in the second half.
     After a relatively even first half where Man U had one perfectly executed cross from the goal line for a header, the Sounders put out their B and then C squad to "gain experience."  The following 45 minutes of soccer were disgusting.  I actually only watched about 30 minutes and decided to leave after we went down 5-0 on a Wayne Rooney goal.  I understand resting the starters and letting the bench play, but I didn't come all that way to watch such a lopsided match.  The only positive that came out of the whole deal is that we got home much earlier.

     Earlier in the day on Wednesday, I got an email from Jess Cohen, who is the coordinator for the Saucony Hurricane racing team.  In December of 2009, fresh off of my Seattle Marathon victory, and before I knew the nature and duration of my injury, I applied to get on the Saucony team.  I was accepted and it was great.  Except as the days turned to weeks, and then to months, and then I surpassed a year without being able to run, I felt worse and worse about being on the team, and not being able to hold up my end of the bargain.  No racing, no promoting of the brand, unless you count selling at the store.  It was a rough year.
       A couple of months ago, my Saucony Reps told me that they were taking mid year applications for the Hurricanes again and encouraged me to re-apply, which I did.  And on Wednesday afternoon, I got the official acceptance email.  It made my day.  Thank you Saucony!  I'm finally back to running full bore, feeling healthy, and back on the Hurricane team.  I can't wait to compete over the second half of the year.  I've got a handful of races on the schedule and I couldn't be more pumped about representing Saucony at these races.  My race schedule is:
Monday August 29: All Comers 5k
Saturday September 10: Fairhaven Runners Waterfront 15k
Saturday October 1: Baker Lake 50k
Sunday November 27: Seattle Half Marathon (Saucony)
     It should be a great season.  A little bit of everything, from fast track racing, to the roads, to my first ultra trail race.  I'm hoping for PR's in all four races, which I think is very doable.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Saucony racing team! Those are my shoes of choice! You will rock those races and get those PR's! Go you!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting on the Saucony team again, man. You shooting for another Seattle Marathon win? ;-)

    ReplyDelete